Tom pattern matching compiler Release 2.1

pem <>
23 Dec 2004 17:54:11 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Tom pattern matching compiler Release 2.1 (pem) (2004-12-23)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: pem <>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 23 Dec 2004 17:54:11 -0500
Posted-Date: 23 Dec 2004 17:54:11 EST

Tom 2.1 announcement

It is my great privilege and pleasure to announce the availability of
Tom version 2.1.

This release continues our work on the integration of pattern matching
and rule based programming facilities into C and Java.

Tom is a pattern matching compiler developed at INRIA. It is
particularly well-suited for programming various transformations on
trees/terms and XML based documents. Its design follows our research
on the efficient compilation of rule based languages (e.g. ELAN,
developed at INRIA-Loria).

Tom is a tool implemented in Tom itself. Similarly to Yacc, it
translates patterns into executable pattern matching automata. When a
match is found, the corresponding semantic action (a sequence of
instructions written in C or Java) is triggered and executed.

Tom is a complex compiler which adds powerful constructs to C and
Java: non linear syntactic matching, associative matching with neutral
element (a.k.a. list-matching), XML based pattern matching, string
matching, and equational rewriting.
This offers the possibility to analyze and transform any kind of
data-structure. Tom can be used for large scale developments and
applications. It comes with documentation, programming, and debugging

This new release contains many improvements and new features:

      - a re-designed plugin based architecture, which allows extension
          and experimentation
      - a new parser based on ANTLR
      - a library for defining traversal strategies, very useful to
          perform analysis and transformations
      - a new organization, which make a clean separation between
          libraries and kernel
      - several bugs fixed

Tom is available, in open source (GPL/BSD License), from the Tom web

      best regards,
      Tom development team