Re: JavaCC in teaching

Etienne Gagnon <>
17 Dec 2004 00:26:48 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
JavaCC in teaching (Johannes Waldmann) (2004-12-16)
Re: JavaCC in teaching (Etienne Gagnon) (2004-12-17)
Re: JavaCC in teaching (Alexey Demakov) (2004-12-17)
Re: JavaCC in teaching (Mayan Moudgill) (2004-12-19)
Re: JavaCC in teaching (2004-12-22)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Etienne Gagnon <>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 17 Dec 2004 00:26:48 -0500
Posted-Date: 17 Dec 2004 00:26:48 EST

Hi Johannes,

I use SableCC ( ) along Andrew Appel's book "Modern
Compiler Implementation in Java".

P.S.: Of course, I am biased towards SableCC; but I sincerely think it
presents a much cleaner separation of generated vs programmer-written
code within a very nice OO framework for developing interpreters and
compilers. I've had much success with it in my classes.

Johannes Waldmann wrote:
> What is your opinion on using JavaCC in teaching?
> I consider using JavaCC as an example in my compiler construction
> course, effectively replacing flex/bison.
> While the "classical" tools are well covered in standard textbooks,
> is there similar coverage for JavaCC somewhere? .
> Any pointers and comments appreciated (especially from teachers).

Etienne M. Gagnon, Ph.D.