Re: "declarative" language design pros/cons (=?iso-8859-1?q?Torben_=C6gidius_Mogensen?=)
5 Dec 2004 21:33:06 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
"declarative" language design pros/cons (Dev Object) (2004-12-01)
Re: "declarative" language design pros/cons (2004-12-05)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: (=?iso-8859-1?q?Torben_=C6gidius_Mogensen?=)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 5 Dec 2004 21:33:06 -0500
Posted-Date: 05 Dec 2004 21:33:06 EST

Dev Object <> writes:

> I am trying to learn more about "declarative" language design pros/cons
> vis-a-vis "imperative" approach.
> Are there are any papers that are recommended reading to better grasp
> the concept and the associated trade-offs in design, complexity of
> translator tools, challenges in grammar design, peformance and
> verification tools ?

I doubt grammar design complexity is influenced by declarative versus
imperative languages.

A few articles/sites that may if interest for some of th eother

John Hughes, "Why Functional Programming Matters",

Paul Hudak and Mark P. Jones, Haskell vs. Ada vs. C++ vs. Awk vs. ...
An Experiment in Software Prototyping Productivity,

The Great Computer Language Shootout