Re: EBNF (Uncle Noah)
28 Nov 2004 23:20:34 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
EBNF (2004-11-20)
Re: EBNF (2004-11-28)
Re: EBNF (Martin Bravenboer) (2004-11-28)
Re: EBNF (2004-12-01)
Re: EBNF (2004-12-11)
Re: EBNF (Vidar Hokstad) (2004-12-16)
Re: EBNF (Chris F Clark) (2004-12-17)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: (Uncle Noah)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 28 Nov 2004 23:20:34 -0500
Posted-Date: 28 Nov 2004 23:20:34 EST

> (VBDis) wrote in message news:04-11-089...
> I've just read ISO/IEC 14977 and wonder how useful this standard
> really is?

The ENBF is important indeed. However, not that much parsing tools use
the Extended BNF. Most of them are YACC-like variants or regular BNF.
There is an arguement on the shift-reduce or reduce-reduce conflicts
that tend to occur more often in EBNF grammars.

There is some tool named "ebnf2yacc" you can experiment with.
Personally I use the "GOLD Parser Builder" which uses regular BNF.

Nikolaos Kavvadias