Recovering from missing tokens

Lujop <lujoplujop@gmail.com>
17 Nov 2004 11:44:16 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Recovering from missing tokens lujoplujop@gmail.com (Lujop) (2004-11-17)
Re: Recovering from missing tokens vbdis@aol.com (2004-11-19)
Re: Recovering from missing tokens lujoplujop@gmail.com (Lujop) (2004-11-20)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Lujop <lujoplujop@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 17 Nov 2004 11:44:16 -0500
Posted-Date: 17 Nov 2004 11:44:16 EST

Hello,

I have a pseudocode language similar to java. Now I want to start the
syntactic error checks and recovery. I use ANTLR (a descendent
parser) and I use a lookahead of 1 token. ANTLR uses exceptions as
the error mechanism and launch an exception as fast as it knows the
error.

If I have:

algorism

const
              CONST1:integer=10 //CONST1 is an ident
fconst

var
              a:integer //a is an identifier
fvar
//Start of code for exemple an assignment
a:=10 //a is an identifier

falgorism

If for example the user forgot to put the const token. What is the
best way to solve the error and recovery from it?

Because the parser gets CONST1 (an identifier) and put the parser in
the code rule (the assignment rule) . And then I think that is very
hard to recovery.

A lot of thanks in advance,
--
Lujop
[I saw a lot of work in the 1970s on parsers that would attempt to correct