Re: PL/I parsers, was problems with identifiers and keywords...

thvv@multicians.org (Tom Van Vleck)
14 Nov 2004 22:44:44 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
problems with identifiers and keywords... micha-1@fantasymail.de (Micha) (2004-10-21)
Re: problems with identifiers and keywords... cfc@shell01.TheWorld.com (Chris F Clark) (2004-10-23)
Re: problems with identifiers and keywords... gah@ugcs.caltech.edu (glen herrmannsfeldt) (2004-10-24)
Re: PL/I parsers, was problems with identifiers and keywords... thvv@multicians.org (2004-11-14)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: thvv@multicians.org (Tom Van Vleck)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 14 Nov 2004 22:44:44 -0500
Posted-Date: 14 Nov 2004 22:44:44 EST

> [I get the impression that there have only been two parsers written
> for PL/I, the IBM one at Hursley and the Freiboughouse one originally
> for Multics. I dunno how they work. -John]

The first Multics PL/I parser was for the EPL compiler,
done in 1966 or so by Bob Morris in TMG. See
    http://www.multicians.org/pl1.html

There were two PL/I compiler generations for Multics after that, the
Version 1 and Version 2 compilers. Freiburghouse led the groups that
did these, but I do not remember whether they used the same parser.
You could ask Bob.

I had the impression, as an occasional user of IBM PL/I F and the IBM
PL/I Checkout compiler that followed it in the early 1970s, that the
parsers for these compilers were different, based on the kind of
errors they discovered.