Re: target language grammars.

Larry Evans <cppljevans@cox-internet.com>
7 Nov 2004 12:07:02 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
target language grammars. ralphpboland@yahoo.com (2004-11-06)
Re: target language grammars. cppljevans@cox-internet.com (Larry Evans) (2004-11-07)
Re: target language grammars. dobes@dobesland.com (Dobes Vandermeer) (2004-11-07)
Re: target language grammars. lujoplujop@gmail.com (Lujop) (2004-11-07)
Re: target language grammars. vbdis@aol.com (2004-11-07)
Re: target language grammars. cgweav@aol.com (2004-11-07)
Re: target language grammars. kenrose@tfb.com (Ken Rose) (2004-11-14)
Re: target language grammars. idbaxter@semdesigns.com (Ira Baxter) (2004-11-14)

From: Larry Evans <cppljevans@cox-internet.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 7 Nov 2004 12:07:02 -0500
Posted-Date: 07 Nov 2004 12:07:02 EST

On 11/06/2004 02:15 PM, Ralph Boland wrote:
[snip]
> When translating/compiling from one language to another we normally
> have a source language grammar but don't (to my knowledge) make much
> use of any grammar for the target language. (Grammar here may mean

I've never used this idea, but I've seen it in articles. The idea
is that the source language is some type of algebra and the target
language is also some type of algebra. The compiler transforms
the expressions in the source language (represented as an abstract
syntax tree, e.g. ) into the target language. I vaguely remember
something about isomorphisms or homomorphisms or something like
that. Maybe a search for "algebraic semantics" or "many-sorted
algebras" along with "language translation" or something along
those lines would produce something useful.

HTH.

Regards,
Larry