Comparing Compilers

"G P" <>
6 Nov 2004 15:17:59 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Comparing Compilers (G P) (2004-11-06)
Re: Comparing Compilers (TOUATI Sid) (2004-11-14)
Re: Comparing Compilers (G P) (2004-11-14)
Re: Comparing Compilers (G P) (2004-11-17)
Re: Comparing Compilers (A Pietu Pohjalainen) (2004-11-17)
Re: Comparing Compilers (Dick Weaver) (2004-11-17)
Re: Comparing Compilers (TOUATI Sid) (2004-11-28)
[1 later articles]
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "G P" <>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 6 Nov 2004 15:17:59 -0500
Posted-Date: 06 Nov 2004 15:17:59 EST

I have to compare the performance of two compilers for a given

Things that I can think of are to check the time required by both the
compilers to compile the application, size of the output file
generated, etc.

Can anybody please suggest other parameters that I should consider and
how can I measure them?

I have to also check the given application with various optimization
options. How do I check which compiler has done better optimization?
Any help would be appreciated.

["Compare two compilers" is a uselessly vague assignment. You, or more
likely the person who assigned you the job, need to decide what you care
about. Quality of documentation? Responsiveness of the vendor to bug
reports? Flexibility of debug features? Correctness of object code?
Size of object code? Size of executable with libraries? Something else?
-John ]