Fwd: Re: How to design a symbol table?

jan <J.vanKatwijk@ewi.tudelft.nl>
21 Oct 2004 22:28:55 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Fwd: Re: How to design a symbol table? J.vanKatwijk@ewi.tudelft.nl (jan) (2004-10-21)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: jan <J.vanKatwijk@ewi.tudelft.nl>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 21 Oct 2004 22:28:55 -0400
Posted-Date: 21 Oct 2004 22:28:55 EDT

I built both an Ada compiler (long time ago) and an Algol 60 compiler
using this. Basically, the table you need is a lookup table that does
not need to live after declaration processing and identifier
lookup. Obviously, you pay a price, i.e. interpretation of declaration
info. But then, it is fairly easy to add attributes to your AST nodes,
just use some profiling tool to see what data best can be cached into
the AST nodes. Ada type information can be fairly complex as well, so
it is just a matter of finding a balance between data stored in nodes
and data reachable through pointers.

regards
janvk