Re: Interface implementation

Eric Eide <eeide@cs.utah.edu>
17 Oct 2004 16:09:33 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Interface implementation ramiro@cs.cornell.edu (Ramiro Rodriguez) (2004-10-12)
Re: Interface implementation andi@a4.complang.tuwien.ac.at (2004-10-17)
Re: Interface implementation tzvetanmi@yahoo.com (2004-10-17)
Re: Interface implementation vbdis@aol.com (2004-10-17)
Re: Interface implementation eeide@cs.utah.edu (Eric Eide) (2004-10-17)
Re: Interface implementation cfc@shell01.TheWorld.com (Chris F Clark) (2004-10-17)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Eric Eide <eeide@cs.utah.edu>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 17 Oct 2004 16:09:33 -0400
Posted-Date: 17 Oct 2004 16:09:33 EDT

  Ramiro Rodriguez <ramiro@cs.cornell.edu> writes:

> I am writing a small compiler and i want the language to have
> interfaces. The problem I am having is how to implement
> function calls efficiently. When having simple class
> inheritance and polymorphism we can have a call table and the
> function call be be mapped in assembly as an offset into the
> table. However for things like interfaces this seems to be not
> as easy if one allows multiple interface implementation. I
> could do a table which is referenced by the name of the
> function but I am wondering if there is some more efficient way
> of doing this.

Perhaps you could start your research by reading this paper:

Bowen Alpern, Anthony Cocchi, Stephen Fink, David Grove, and Derek
Lieber. "Efficient Implementation of Java Interfaces: Invokeinterface
Considered Harmless." In Proceedings of the 2001 ACM Conference on
Object-Oriented Programming, Systems, Languages, and Applications
(OOPSLA), Tampa, FL, USA, Oct 14-18, 2001.

<http://www.research.ibm.com/people/d/dgrove/papers/oopsla01.html>

Good luck with your project! ---

Eric.

Eric Eide <eeide@cs.utah.edu> . University of Utah School of Computing