Re: Separation of parsing from AST construction and attribute evaluation

"Rodney M. Bates" <rbates@southwind.net>
9 Oct 2004 22:50:54 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Separation of parsing from AST construction and attribute evaluation ralphpboland@yahoo.com (2004-10-02)
Re: Separation of parsing from AST construction and attribute evaluati rich@pennware.com (Richard Pennington) (2004-10-02)
Re: Separation of parsing from AST construction and attribute evaluati cfc@shell01.TheWorld.com (Chris F Clark) (2004-10-04)
Re: Separation of parsing from AST construction and attribute evaluati rbates@southwind.net (Rodney M. Bates) (2004-10-09)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Rodney M. Bates" <rbates@southwind.net>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 9 Oct 2004 22:50:54 -0400
Posted-Date: 09 Oct 2004 22:50:54 EDT

Ralph Boland wrote:
>> The part of the language specification involving AST construction,
> attribute evaluation, and possibly other aspects of compiler
> construction specification are to be placed in one or more files
> (distinct from the file for parsing specification). These files are
> meant to be as implementation language independant as possible but
> here I expect complete independance to be difficult or impossble to
> achieve.
>
> Ralph Boland

This is rather crude, but:

There is a very wide variety of programming languages in which
simple procedure/function calls with positional parameters can
be written identically. With just about any generator, you can
put in semantic actions that consist only of a call that is
syntactically valid in many languages. Then write the definitions
of the actions in your choice of language and compile together.

Obviously, several details have to be treated with some care.