RE: Application of Conjunctive Grammars?

Quinn Tyler Jackson <>
14 Sep 2004 16:58:47 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Application of Conjunctive Grammars? (Monty Hall) (2004-09-13)
RE: Application of Conjunctive Grammars? (Quinn Tyler Jackson) (2004-09-14)
RE: Application of Conjunctive Grammars? (Quinn Tyler Jackson) (2004-09-21)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Quinn Tyler Jackson <>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 14 Sep 2004 16:58:47 -0400
Posted-Date: 14 Sep 2004 16:58:47 EDT

Monty Hall said:

> I'm reading about conjunctive grammars and was curious where they are
> used. What feature of a programming language would require the use of
> a conjunctive grammar? I've seen many examples with contrived rules
> and terminals and would like to see a practical example. Since many
> programming languages have hacks to parse ambiguous or non CFG
> grammars, what programming language constructs can be expressed using
> conjunctive CFGs?

It may not be exactly what you are looking for, but Okhotin's Boolean
grammars are an extension of Conjunctive grammars.

There are two recent papers there that might be on target.

A. Okhotin, "A Boolean grammar for a simple programming language" (ps,
pdf), Technical Report 2004-478, School of Computing, Queen's
University, Kingston, Ontario, Canada.

A. Okhotin, "On the existence of a Boolean grammar for a simple
procedural language" (ps, pdf), submitted for publication.

Those discuss specific programming language features that have been
described formally.
Quinn Tyler Jackson