Newbie: Building an XQuery Engine Prototype
3 Sep 2004 12:40:43 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Newbie: Building an XQuery Engine Prototype (2004-09-03)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 3 Sep 2004 12:40:43 -0400
Posted-Date: 03 Sep 2004 12:40:42 EDT

Hi - I am considering building a prototype XQuery engine in Java for
XML data that resides in files or just generally in abstract streams.
I have some experience using generated parsers (JavaCC/JJTree) to
build an abstract syntax tree from a grammar. I also have the XQuery
grammar available and detailed specs (from W3C) for the XQuery

However, the first step (building the syntax tree) is about the extent
of the knowledge I have in this area. I have considered purchasing an
academic compiler text book but I'm not sure how much of that theory
would carry over to my project. However, I expect that at least some
of the priciples of programming language compilers relate to a project
such as this. Is that accurate?

Can anyone offer any guidance in this project? (text books, articles
etc?). At this point I'm really looking for guidance on what the major
building blocks of the engine should look like so I get a sense of
where to go from here.