Re: Newbie Q - Grammer rules for parsing HEX string in BISON

spacemonkeyxyz-google@yahoo.co.uk (Space Monkey)
25 Aug 2004 14:53:35 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Newbie Q - Grammer rules for parsing HEX string in BISON spacemonkeyxyz-google@yahoo.co.uk (2004-08-23)
Re: Newbie Q - Grammer rules for parsing HEX string in BISON spacemonkeyxyz-google@yahoo.co.uk (2004-08-25)
Re: Newbie Q - Grammer rules for parsing HEX string in BISON vbdis@aol.com (2004-09-03)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: spacemonkeyxyz-google@yahoo.co.uk (Space Monkey)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 25 Aug 2004 14:53:35 -0400
Posted-Date: 25 Aug 2004 14:53:35 EDT

spacemonkeyxyz-google@yahoo.co.uk (Space Monkey) wrote
> I am new to BISON and am trying to setup the grammer rules for parsing
> a hex string in BISON.
>
> I am using the mfcalc example at
> http://dinosaur.compilertools.net/bison/bison_5.html and trying to
> parse a file containing strings such as,
>
> DEFINE Key1 0x01C8
>
> and
>
> SET Key1 0xAC,0xE5,0x31,0x2A,0x4C,0x1D,0x56,0xEA,0x33,0xE9,0x2E,0x14,0xA2,0xFA,0x4A,0x18
>
> Can anyone help with the grammar?
>
> thanks

I should have added that the desired outcome is to populate the
contents of a binary file using instructions contained in a separate
text file.

For example, if I have a file test.bin, using the data in the above
email, I want to populate the file at location 0x01C8 (address Key1)
with the data 0xAC,0xE5 ..., according to the SET Key1 instruction.

I am a complete novice on YACC and BISON and any help with the grammar
rules for the parsing the hexadecimal list in the above example is
appreciated.