Generic sequence matching in Java

Rob van der Leek <>
13 Aug 2004 17:35:25 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Generic sequence matching in Java (Rob van der Leek) (2004-08-13)
Re: Generic sequence matching in Java (Burak Emir) (2004-08-15)
Re: Generic sequence matching in Java (F. Liekweg) (2004-08-23)
Re: Generic sequence matching in Java (Rob van der Leek) (2004-08-23)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Rob van der Leek <>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 13 Aug 2004 17:35:25 -0400
Posted-Date: 13 Aug 2004 17:35:25 EDT

Hi all,

I'm looking for a Java library that provides generic sequence matching.
For example, let's say I have a sequence of Java objects:

Object ol[] = { new A(), new A(), new B(), new C() };

and would like to extract all subsequences from this sequence that start
with one or more objects of type A followed by an object of type B. I
consider this analogue to a textual regular expression "(a+)b" on an
input of "aabc".

I could think of a very simple syntax for such a library, say X, as:

x.X matcher = new x.X();
new Object[] {
new x.OneOrMore(new A()),
new B()

I know such a tool could be implemented using a simple FSA generator
but were curious if you know of any existing implementations. It must
be a pure Java solution.

Rob van der Leek | rob(at)ricardis(dot)tudelft(dot)nl