Re: anything more convenient then bison/yacc?

Richard Pennington <rich@pennware.com>
9 Aug 2004 00:20:18 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
anything more convenient then bison/yacc? khamenya@mail.ru (2004-07-28)
Re: anything more convenient then bison/yacc? cfc@shell01.TheWorld.com (Chris F Clark) (2004-08-04)
Re: anything more convenient then bison/yacc? basile-news@starynkevitch.net (Basile Starynkevitch \[news\]) (2004-08-05)
Re: anything more convenient then bison/yacc? rich@pennware.com (Richard Pennington) (2004-08-09)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Richard Pennington <rich@pennware.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 9 Aug 2004 00:20:18 -0400
Posted-Date: 09 Aug 2004 00:20:18 EDT

Hi,

(Comments below)

Valery wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am wondering if there are some newer reliable engines
> similar to yacc/bison, but with more syntactic sugar and
> wider class of the grammars.
>
> In particular some ideas/notions of regular expression
> would be fine. For example, something like:
>
> e? Matches element e in brackets zero or one times
> e* Matches element e in brackets zero or more times
> e+ Matches element e in brackets one or more times
> e{num} Matches element e in brackets num times
> e{min, max} Matches element e in brackets at least min times, but
> not more than max times

I'm working on one that uses

        e? or [e] Zero or one.
        e* or {e} Zero or more.
        e+ One or more. (Could see a good bracket form.)

> where element e might be a compound elemnt embraced, say,
> in brackets if needed.

        I use (e).

> Absence of this sugar makes the grammar description
> less readable.

I wanted to be able to enter grammars that are similar to those
published for languages.

I also allow := as a synonym for : and . as a synonym for ;

> Consider this short example (BTW it comes from real life):
>
> [example]
> Rule: [a [b?a]* b? ]?
> [/example]

This would be:

          Rule: (a (b?a)* b?)?;

in mine.

[Yacc example snipped]

> Thus, any testimonials to reliable grammar parser generators
> are very appreciated. (Commercial implementatios are
> less considered). In particular, recommendations to
> free implementations from this list:
>
> http://www.programming-x.com/programming/parser.html
>
> would be very interesting as well.
>
> Best regards,
> thank you in advance,
> Valery A.Khamenya

Unfortunately, mine is a personal project that I've been working on. I'm
not sure it it will ever be available, but I'm having a lot of fun
writing it.

You can find more information on it on my web site.

Best regards,

Rich
--
Richard Pennington