Re: negating words with Java regular expressions

=?iso-8859-1?q?Amit=20Shanbhag?= <amit_shanbhag@yahoo.com>
13 Jul 2004 22:33:14 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
negating words with Java regular expressions Raj.Ashar@jhuapl.edu (2004-07-13)
Re: negating words with Java regular expressions amit_shanbhag@yahoo.com (=?iso-8859-1?q?Amit=20Shanbhag?=) (2004-07-13)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: =?iso-8859-1?q?Amit=20Shanbhag?= <amit_shanbhag@yahoo.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 13 Jul 2004 22:33:14 -0400
Posted-Date: 13 Jul 2004 22:33:14 EDT

In regular expressions
If you are looking for ";" not preceeded by a number
you could do it with the zero-width negative look
behind operators.

For your particular case, this would be.
(?![0-5]*);

This will look for numerical characters preceeding a
";", -->this is called look behind

the search will be negated "(?! )" ---> hence negative

The matching string will always only return ";" or
nothing at all. ie the pattern "[0-5]*" will never
contribute any chanracter to the resultant match-->
hence zero-width

For more info look at
http://www.regular-expressions.info/

regards
-amit shanbhag

--- Raj Ashar <Raj.Ashar@jhuapl.edu> wrote: > All, is
there a way to negate words using regular