Re: ABAP to PHP/JSP translator?

"Ira Baxter" <idbaxter@semdesigns.com>
13 Jul 2004 22:32:02 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
ABAP to PHP/JSP translator? zmbl@gmx.de (2004-07-13)
Re: ABAP to PHP/JSP translator? idbaxter@semdesigns.com (Ira Baxter) (2004-07-13)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Ira Baxter" <idbaxter@semdesigns.com>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.php,comp.lang.java.programmer,comp.compilers
Date: 13 Jul 2004 22:32:02 -0400
Posted-Date: 13 Jul 2004 22:32:02 EDT

"Rene Schneider" <zmbl@gmx.de> wrote in message
> Has anybody ever experimented with something like an ABAP to PHP or
> JSP translator?

Not specifically with an ABAP translator. We have a draft ABAP front
end for our DMS Software Reengineering Toolkit. We're more interested
in quality checking issues for ABAP. (We also have PHP and Java back
ends, so "techically" all one has to do is write translation rules :).

> Can you think of any elements missing for this purpose from PHP/JSP
> compared to ABAP?

You mean other than the entire set of runtime libraries provided by SAP?

> Do you think such a translator would be useful (e.g. to replace a
> slow, insecure, and overpriced SAP system with an open source
> solution)?

Not my place to offer an opinion. If you "replace" SAP with identical
function, my guess is the replacement will be expensive too. My
understanding is that much of the cost is configuring SAP to do what
you want. I'd guess a replacement product would have the same
problems.
--
Ira D. Baxter, Ph.D., CTO 512-250-1018
Semantic Designs, Inc. www.semdesigns.com