Lazy/tolerant parsers (Akhilesh Mritunjai)
13 Jul 2004 22:30:21 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Lazy/tolerant parsers (2004-07-13)
RE: Lazy/tolerant parsers (Quinn Tyler Jackson) (2004-07-14)
Re: Lazy/tolerant parsers (Dmitry A. Kazakov) (2004-07-14)
Re: Lazy/tolerant parsers (2004-07-15)
Re: Lazy/tolerant parsers (Dmitry A. Kazakov) (2004-07-17)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: (Akhilesh Mritunjai)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 13 Jul 2004 22:30:21 -0400
Posted-Date: 13 Jul 2004 22:30:21 EDT

I tried searching in archives, but could not find helpful results.

I have a (Ada like) grammar for which I need to create a parser which
should be usable for code as user types (syntax highlighting, code
assist etc). So the parser should correctly deal with -

- partial sententences
- Incomplete/missing closures

Which method would you recommend to write such a parser ?

As I understand, the parser needs to flag off error conditions,
"synch" the state machine and continue parsing. However, this synching
itself will be problematic in the first place and parser may be
required to-

- User context informaction (i.e. keep an eye on what user is doing)
- Use grammar context to find next synch point
- Re-iterate several times to find the most "fitting" synch location
that makes best sense.
- Do some special juggelary at closely located error-points to avoid
iterating too much.

Right now I'm looking at eclipse's JDT java compiler/parser for hints.
Of course its too big a piece to bite at this stage, so progress is
kinda slow :)

Waiting for inputs

- Akhilesh