Weak binding of member functions

vinaynkaranth@yahoo.com (Vinay)
11 Jul 2004 22:18:01 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Weak binding of member functions vinaynkaranth@yahoo.com (2004-07-11)
Re: Weak binding of member functions sandra@frogsonice.com (Sandra Loosemore) (2004-07-13)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: vinaynkaranth@yahoo.com (Vinay)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 11 Jul 2004 22:18:01 -0400
Posted-Date: 11 Jul 2004 22:18:01 EDT

Hello

My question is regarding "weak external symbols". Consider the
following eg.

class test
{
            public :
                      int func1(void); {cout <<"func1";}
                      int func2(void);
}

int test :: func2(void)
{
          cout <<"func2";
}

I compiled this piece of code using the CC for PPC processor, version
"cygnus-2.7.2-960126 egcs-971225". The readelf output shows that the
func1 has weak binding and func2 has normal global binding. Please let
me know why is the function whos implementation is with in the class
definition has weak binding and the one with its implementatin outside
the class definition has normal global binding.

regards
Vinay