Compiler history

toba12@freemail.hu (toba)
11 Jul 2004 22:17:49 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Compiler history toba12@freemail.hu (2004-07-11)
Re: Compiler history jlindsay@kingston.net (John H. Lindsay) (2004-07-13)
Re: Compiler history smidkiff@purdue.edu (2004-07-15)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: toba12@freemail.hu (toba)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 11 Jul 2004 22:17:49 -0400
Posted-Date: 11 Jul 2004 22:17:49 EDT

Hello list!

On an upcoming exam that I will have, there is a question regarding
the history of compilers. I know that around '63 people were using
operator precendence. They were followed by simple precendence
grammars. And these were replaced by RL analizers (which were followed
by LALR, I guess). But what was before the '60s and after? Can someone
say a few word about it please?

Balit
[Before BNF, parsing was extremely ad-hoc. See Knuth's new Seleted
Papers in Computer Languages for a paper on very early languages and
the seminal papers on both LL and LR parsing. -John]