Re: compiler writing as a career?

"Brandon J. Van Every" <try_vanevery_at_mycompanyname@yahoo.com>
26 Jun 2004 23:56:32 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Re: compiler writing as a career? Jeffrey.Kenton@comcast.net (Jeff Kenton) (2004-06-15)
Re: compiler writing as a career? david.boyle@ed.tadpole.com (2004-06-21)
Re: compiler writing as a career? pohjalai@cc.helsinki.fi (A Pietu Pohjalainen) (2004-06-21)
Re: compiler writing as a career? sander@haldjas.folklore.ee (Sander Vesik) (2004-06-25)
Re: compiler writing as a career? algrant@myrealbox.com (2004-06-26)
Re: compiler writing as a career? gah@ugcs.caltech.edu (glen herrmannsfeldt) (2004-06-26)
Re: compiler writing as a career? try_vanevery_at_mycompanyname@yahoo.com (Brandon J. Van Every) (2004-06-26)
Re: compiler writing as a career? Kevin.Andre@pandora.be (Kevin André) (2004-06-28)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Brandon J. Van Every" <try_vanevery_at_mycompanyname@yahoo.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 26 Jun 2004 23:56:32 -0400
Posted-Date: 26 Jun 2004 23:56:32 EDT

http://www.iso.ch/iso/en/CatalogueDetailPage.CatalogueDetail?CSNUMBER=36768&ICS1=35&ICS2=60&ICS3=

> But it very much depends on where you draw the line between the
> language and its standard library ending and extensions
> beginning. With a 'single major vendor' situation, its not clear where
> the proper place is and certainly many are using a lot larger part
> than the standard covers as the minimal subset that defines the
> language and its runtime.

While I was still vaguely interested in C#, I looked at what parts of
the library were standard and which weren't. The core things you'd
expect to be standard, like lists and so forth, were standard. I'm
not worried about core C# libraries being standard. It's as you
expand to a very big, inclusive notion of libraries that one gets the
problem you describe. If you were going to write your own code from
scratch you'd be fine. If you wanted to leverage every obscure thing
in existence, you wouldn't be.

That was true for C++ for quite awhile as well, and arguably still is if
you're stuck with older compilers. Yet we don't worry about C++ being
monopolized.

I think there's a tendency to confuse C# standard libraries for .NET
libraries.

--
Cheers, www.indiegamedesign.com
Brandon Van Every Seattle, WA