Re: ANN: LAPACK and ScaLAPACK new functionality survey

nmm1@cus.cam.ac.uk (Nick Maclaren)
6 Jun 2004 21:34:50 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
ANN: LAPACK and ScaLAPACK new functionality survey ejr@cs.berkeley.edu (2004-06-06)
Re: ANN: LAPACK and ScaLAPACK new functionality survey nmm1@cus.cam.ac.uk (2004-06-06)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: nmm1@cus.cam.ac.uk (Nick Maclaren)
Newsgroups: sci.math.num-analysis,comp.compilers,comp.soft-sys.math.scilab
Date: 6 Jun 2004 21:34:50 -0400
Posted-Date: 06 Jun 2004 21:34:50 EDT

Edward Jason Riedy <ejr+lapack.followup@cs.berkeley.edu> wrote:
>LAPACK and ScaLAPACK new functionality survey

A couple of quick suggestions that may be a trifle too radical.

The first is FFTs and related thingumajigs. My experience is that
they come in shortly after eigenvalues as the most heavily used
numerically intensive matrix methods.

The second is graph-theoretic algorithms. Let's view a matrix as
a distance graph - there are LOTS of important algorithms that
munge over those things.

Sven will not be surprised that I have posted these suggestions;
he has had me go on about them often enough :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.