Compiling to the Intel instruction set

gwalker874@aol.com (Gary Walker)
6 Jun 2004 16:52:52 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Compiling to the Intel instruction set gwalker874@aol.com (2004-06-06)
Re: Compiling to the Intel instruction set dido@imperium.ph (2004-06-09)
Re: Compiling to the Intel instruction set napi@axiomsol.com (2004-06-09)
Re: Compiling to the Intel instruction set samiam@moorecad.com (Scott Moore) (2004-06-25)
Re: Compiling to the Intel instruction set freitag@alancoxonachip.com (Andi Kleen) (2004-06-30)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: gwalker874@aol.com (Gary Walker)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 6 Jun 2004 16:52:52 -0400
Posted-Date: 06 Jun 2004 16:52:52 EDT

Hi,

I'm looking for resources on how to build an optimizing compiler (back
end) for the Intel386 instruction set.

I'm not new to compilers and I know several other assembly languages,
but I'm new to the Intel assembly language, and I especially need help
in dealing with the fact that the registers are not orthoginal.

Gary Walker
gwalker874@aol.com
[Intel has a "IA-32 Intel Architecture Optimization Manual" available
as a PDF on their web site. It says remarkably little about
registers. The functions on the registers in ia32 are a lot more
orthogonal than they were in the 286. Most places you can use one
register, you can use any of them. There still aren't enough of them,
but according to that manual, the chips have a whole lot of store buffers,
and they do store forwarding of any reasonable store/load pair. -John]