Re: About ELF format

Jie Zhang <>
6 Jun 2004 15:10:05 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
About ELF format (2004-05-30)
Re: About ELF format (George Huber) (2004-06-06)
Re: About ELF format (Jie Zhang) (2004-06-06)
Re: About ELF format (Tim Bauer) (2004-06-06)
Re: About ELF format (2004-06-11)
Re: About ELF format lod@egobolinu.xorg (Lode) (2004-09-21)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Jie Zhang <>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 6 Jun 2004 15:10:05 -0400
Posted-Date: 06 Jun 2004 15:10:05 EDT

Vinay wrote:
> Hi all
> I have a little doubt regarding the ELF file. Here is a Hex snap shot
> of an ELF file compiled using GCC on RH linux 9.0 (X86). ...

Yes, I think you interpreted the ELF header correctly. e_shoff in the
ELF header is 0x4F08, but the section header table does not start at
this offset of the file. In ELF, the section header for index 0 is
reserved for SHN_UNDEF and should be all zeros. It's very likely that
the section table starts at offset 0x4F14. You may modify the file and
use readelf to see if it produce a reasonable output.

You may file a bug report in with
the information about how this problem can be reproduced.