Re: Bytecode level thread implementation

Eliot Miranda <>
30 May 2004 13:26:07 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Bytecode level thread implementation (Gabriele Farina *DarkBard*) (2004-05-24)
Re: Bytecode level thread implementation (Tomasz Zielonka) (2004-05-30)
Re: Bytecode level thread implementation (Eliot Miranda) (2004-05-30)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Eliot Miranda <>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 30 May 2004 13:26:07 -0400
Posted-Date: 30 May 2004 13:26:07 EDT

Gabriele Farina *DarkBard* wrote:
> I'd like to implement a OS independent threading system. I thought to
> manage threads directly inside the bytecode genereted by my compiler.
> Do you think it could be interesting? There's any opensource language
> that implements this kind of feature?

Its certainly interesting and instructive to do, but its been done
before :) The Squeak Smalltalk-80 system includes a real-time thread
scheduler in its VM and is open source.

I would expect there to be open source Java implementations that include
    "green" threads as they're called.

Eliot Miranda Smalltalk - Scene not herd