Re: ISO standard BNF
15 Apr 2004 12:28:04 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
ISO standard BNF (A Johnstone) (2004-04-14)
Re: ISO standard BNF (2004-04-15)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 15 Apr 2004 12:28:04 -0400
Posted-Date: 15 Apr 2004 12:28:04 EDT

A Johnstone <> writes:

> There is an ISO standard EBNF (ISO/IEC 14977:1996(E), see
> It contains some unhappy features, such as the use of , as
> a concatenation operator and allowing nonterminal names with
> spaces in them.

Agreed. I never use spaces inside nonterminal names (only _ if
needed) in order to reduce confusion. The , as concatenator
is not such a bad idea (after writing some ISO EBNF grammars).

> Has anybody ever used this version of EBNF,

> or ever seen it used in a book or paper?

Unfortunately, many people use their own variant of BNF.
But I have seen ISO EBNF specifications in some technical documents.

Dr. Sven Hartrumpf
Computer Science VII
University of Hagen
58084 Hagen - Germany