Data flow analysis question (Saswat)
15 Mar 2004 09:35:23 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Data flow analysis question (2004-03-15)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: (Saswat)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 15 Mar 2004 09:35:23 -0500
Posted-Date: 15 Mar 2004 09:35:22 EST

I am faced with this analysis problem that seems to be useful in
compilers and software engineering tools. So I am trying to find if it
has already been solved or any reference to similar problems. If the
problem sounds familiar please direct me to the reference.

Roughly, the analysis finds out all statement pairs (s1, s2) that use
the same variable (say x) such that, s2 always follows s1 and when s1
uses a particular definition of x, say p, the following s2 also use
the same definition of x (ie. p).

For a procedure, suppose we have a trace of program statements of the
form $s_{i_1}, s_{i_2} ... s_{i_n}$ denoting the order in which
statements are executed. Let $(s_{p/q})^+$ denote a sequence of
statements in which $s_p$ occurs one or more number of times, but
$s_q$ does not occur. The goal of the analysis to find all statement
pairs $s_p$ and $s_q$ (that use the same variable) such that in the

1. every occurrence of a $(s_{p/q})^+$ sequence ($S_1$) in the trace
is followed by atleast one $s_q$
2. each occurrence of $s_p$ in $S_1$ and the following $s_q$ use the
same definition of $x$.

I was thinking of SSA. But does that take care all the cases?