Re: lex/flex yacc/bison for VS?

haberg@matematik.su.se (Hans Aberg)
15 Mar 2004 09:34:19 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
lex/flex yacc/bison for VS? jim_taylor@ieee.org (JimT) (2004-03-11)
Re: lex/flex yacc/bison for VS? vbdis@aol.com (2004-03-15)
Re: lex/flex yacc/bison for VS? haberg@matematik.su.se (2004-03-15)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: haberg@matematik.su.se (Hans Aberg)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 15 Mar 2004 09:34:19 -0500
Posted-Date: 15 Mar 2004 09:34:19 EST

JimT <jim_taylor@ieee.org> wrote:

>I downloaded flex/bison for win32 but I can't get the code produced by
>flex to compile in Visual Studio .NET. The code looks good, but it
>includes headers that don't exist, specifically unistd.h. I am told
>that this is a unix-only file, not used in win32, but if I leave it out
>I get a pile of other compilation errors because the symbols it defines
>can't be found.
>
>Is there a lex/yacc (or look-alike) package that produces C, C++, or C#
>code that will compile in VS.NET (or VS6 if I have to) without having to
>edit the generated code?
>
>JimT
>[Berkeley yacc, on which Bison is based, doesn't have any unistd
>dependencies that I can see. I know people have built flex on
>Windows and it has ifdef's to help. -John]

Bison and Flex questions are best addressed at their respective mailing lists:
    Help-flex mailing list
    help-flex@gnu.org

Make sure you have the later versions of Flex and Bison, as they the last
few years have been developed quite a bit:

I do not think that later versions of Bison uses unistd.h. How it is with
Flex, I do not know. One trick might to add your own header. It is a
header that supplies certain types of UNIX process information. I think
that Flex might only need it when compiled with certain special options.
More details on the Flex list.

    Hans Aberg