Re: Fortran without its legacy.

Joachim Durchholz <joachim.durchholz@web.de>
26 Feb 2004 10:05:20 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Fortran without its legacy. toon@moene.indiv.nluug.nl (Toon Moene) (2004-02-26)
Re: Fortran without its legacy. joachim.durchholz@web.de (Joachim Durchholz) (2004-02-26)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Joachim Durchholz <joachim.durchholz@web.de>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 26 Feb 2004 10:05:20 -0500
Posted-Date: 26 Feb 2004 10:05:20 EST

Our esteemed moderator wrote:
> [I think the first response on the response page pretty much sums up
> why Fortran is still an important language, and wishing otherwise
> won't make it go away. It's still the only language for seriously
> high performance numerical software. -John]

I think that "informed response" is a bit narrow-sighted - he's
considering only those languages that are currently in the mainstream.
With that, he's probably right (though I don't know Fortran well enough
to be sure).

If you look at the future, things look better. Better languages than C,
C++, or Java exist: less than 100 pages for a language reference, clean
syntax, clean semantics. ("Clean" meaning "free of legacy quirks and
subtle points".)
Of course, it's a question whether these languages will gain enough
momentum to actually replace Fortran; that could happen anytime between
next year and never...

Regards,
Jo
--
Currently looking for a new job.
[But none of those address what has always been Fortran's uniqe design