Nondeterministic compilers?

glen herrmannsfeldt <gah@ugcs.caltech.edu>
26 Feb 2004 01:43:09 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Nondeterministic compilers? gah@ugcs.caltech.edu (glen herrmannsfeldt) (2004-02-26)
Re: Nondeterministic compilers? christian.bau@cbau.freeserve.co.uk (Christian Bau) (2004-02-26)
Re: Nondeterministic compilers? hannah@schlund.de (2004-02-27)
Re: Nondeterministic compilers? franck.pissotte@alussinan.org (Franck Pissotte) (2004-02-27)
Re: Nondeterministic compilers? alexc@std.com (Alex Colvin) (2004-02-27)
Re: Nondeterministic compilers? joachim.durchholz@web.de (Joachim Durchholz) (2004-03-02)
Re: Nondeterministic compilers? walter@digitalmars.com (Walter) (2004-03-02)

From: glen herrmannsfeldt <gah@ugcs.caltech.edu>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers,comp.lang.pl1
Date: 26 Feb 2004 01:43:09 -0500
Posted-Date: 26 Feb 2004 01:43:08 EST

Does anyone know about any compilers that are not deterministic? I
could imagine using an algorithm for the optimizer such as simulated
annealing that could result in different object code compiling the
same source. I know this is done in IC and FPGA layout routing, but I
don't know that I have heard of it in high level language compilers.

It seems that someone in comp.lang.pl1 has found a non-deterministic
PL/I compiler, but I am wondering about it in general.

-- glen
[I've seen reports of C or C++ compilers that would produce different
code depending on where in memory they were loaded, apparently because
of pointers that compared differently, but the code differences
weren't important, like slightly different but equally fast branch
trees for switch statements. -John]