Online tutorials/explanations on code generation?

Andreas Koch <>
26 Feb 2004 01:13:44 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Online tutorials/explanations on code generation? (Andreas Koch) (2004-02-26)
Re: Online tutorials/explanations on code generation? (2004-03-11)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Andreas Koch <>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 26 Feb 2004 01:13:44 -0500
Posted-Date: 26 Feb 2004 01:13:44 EST

Hi all,

I allready wrote several (small) interpreters, VMs, and
coded in assembly for several CPUs.

Next thing I'd like to try, is writing an compiler.

Of course I could build something that somehow outputs
assembly. But i'd like to have a quick overview of whats
the "usual" method of doing this elegantly, and retargetable.
(and I'd like to avoid browsing through such a beast as the
GCC sources for that, or buying a book)

So, can someone recommend a free site that highlights what
happens between "fully parsed code" and "assembly output" -
How opcodes, registers, addressing modes etc. are choosen.

                                              thanks a lot,
[What ever happened to the quaint practice of checking books out of
the library? -John]