Re: flex code memory usage

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Stefan_Fr=FChwirth?= <>
4 Feb 2004 21:47:52 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
flex code memory usage (=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Stefan_Fr=FChwirth?=) (2004-02-01)
Re: flex code memory usage (=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Stefan_Fr=FChwirth?=) (2004-02-04)
Re: flex code memory usage (Chris Isbell) (2004-02-04)
Re: flex code memory usage (Chris Isbell) (2004-02-08)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Stefan_Fr=FChwirth?= <>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 4 Feb 2004 21:47:52 -0500
Posted-Date: 04 Feb 2004 21:47:52 EST

RERA wrote:

> Using flex for a embedded system :O. I don't think it's a better idea. Is
> your embedded product that complex? What does your chip support ?

It's a IP2022 from Ubicom
( And maybe it's
not correct to call it a embedded system...

> Hand written lexer/parser will be a better idea.

Maybe, but are there any solutions that are less complex than flex?
Some form of lexer generator, but not that complex. Maybe you know
something like this.

> If you do not clear memory will the product be fool proof? Will there be
> side effects?

I maybe shouldn't do this task, it may be a little bit too complicated
for me, but I think, when a call of yylex is finished, the heap used
by it is not freed. That's my problem, but maybe I've seen something

thanks, steve
[You might take a look at re2c, recently mentioned here. -John]