Re: Compiler Validation Test Tool

Paul Pluzhnikov <ppluzhnikov@charter.net>
1 Feb 2004 12:52:43 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Compiler Validation Test Tool trona@ameritech.net (Thomas Ronayne) (2004-01-31)
Re: Compiler Validation Test Tool ppluzhnikov@charter.net (Paul Pluzhnikov) (2004-02-01)
Re: Compiler Validation Test Tool dietz@dls.net (Paul F. Dietz) (2004-02-01)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Paul Pluzhnikov <ppluzhnikov@charter.net>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 1 Feb 2004 12:52:43 -0500
Posted-Date: 01 Feb 2004 12:52:43 EST

Thomas Ronayne <trona@ameritech.net> writes:

[Quote from q777 corrected]

q777 (quang777@email.com) writes:
> > After doing an OS upgrade (from Solaris 7 -> Solaris 8), it appears
> > that some code that used to compile ok, no longer compiles correctly.
> > Sometimes, the code compiles but core dumps when it is executed. Is

Have you considered the possibility that the code itself is buggy?

Blaiming compiler/OS/system libraries is what all novices do, but the
chances that the bug is in your code, not elsewhere, are 100 to 1, if
not worse. [In fact, one of very effective ways to find bugs in your
code is to port it to another OS, but going from Solaris 7 to 8
doesn't qualify -- too easy].

> > there a tool out there that automates checking the compilers and its
> > libraries to make sure they are working correctly (something like the
> > configure scripts)? If this isn't the correct forum for this question,
> > which should I ask? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Build gcc and GNU-make from source; if they work, there is nothing
wrong with your compiler.

> Going from Solaris 7 to Solaris 8 is essentially going from a 32-bit
> to a 64-bit system, and you probably need to recompile not only your

This is nonsense: Solaris 8 runs on 32-bit hardware, and even on
64-bit hardware it runs 32-bit programs *just fine*.

> If you're using GCC, you do not want to link objects compiled with Sun
> C (generally) and vice versa.You need to use one or the other but not
> mix both (generally) --

This is also nonsense: most programs compiled with gcc on Solaris do
use code from libc.so, which was compiled with Sun C, and this also
works just fine.

> when GCC is installed it builds its own set of system libraries and
> they don't mix well with Sun's.

Gcc does build its own utility and C++ runtime libraries (libgcc,
libstdc++, etc.), but they do not in any way replace libc or
libpthread (which is what people usually call *system* libraries).

> Note that you can run 32-bit executables from Solaris 7 in Solaris 8,
> however, when dynamic libraries are loaded you may have the problem

I am happily running binaries compiled on Solars 5 (8 years ago),
on Solaris 6, 7, 8 and 9 machines. They work just fine.

You'd be very hard-pressed to construct a case which doesn't work
when built on Solaris 7 and run on Solaris 8 (although it is possible
to construct such a case).

Cheers,