RE: 90/10 rule... source?

Quinn Tyler Jackson <qjackson@shaw.ca>
9 Jan 2004 23:51:54 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
RE: 90/10 rule... source? qjackson@shaw.ca (Quinn Tyler Jackson) (2004-01-09)
RE: 90/10 rule... source? qjackson@shaw.ca (Quinn Tyler Jackson) (2004-01-12)
Re: 90/10 rule... source? nkavv@skiathos.physics.auth.gr (2004-01-16)
Re: 90/10 rule... source? ieuk001@attglobal.net (2004-01-22)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Quinn Tyler Jackson <qjackson@shaw.ca>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 9 Jan 2004 23:51:54 -0500

> [That's probably the one you want. It was the first to use the term
> program profiling, and it was big news at the time how much of a
> speedup you could get by rewriting tiny bits of a program if it was
> the right tiny bits. It's reprinted in Knuth's new "Selected Papers
> on Computer Languages", ISBN 1575863820. -John]

I've wondered if there are any other* parser generators out there that can
profile at the production level.
--
Quinn Tyler Jackson
http://members.shaw.ca/qjackson/

* I say "other" because Meta-S does this.

[I think I've seen a profiling version of yacc, but it was a long time
ago. Unless a compiler does a great deal of analysis and
optimization, the lexer is usually the part of the program that eats
up the most time. I don't ever recall a parser that took much of the
overall runtime. -John]