Re: compiled programming languages for comparative analysis

Nick Roberts <nick.roberts@acm.org>
8 Dec 2003 00:24:10 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
compiled programming languages for comparative analysis mojacko_17@yahoo.com (2003-12-03)
Re: compiled programming languages for comparative analysis torbenm@diku.dk (2003-12-08)
Re: compiled programming languages for comparative analysis joachim.durchholz@web.de (Joachim Durchholz) (2003-12-08)
Re: compiled programming languages for comparative analysis nick.roberts@acm.org (Nick Roberts) (2003-12-08)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Nick Roberts <nick.roberts@acm.org>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 8 Dec 2003 00:24:10 -0500
Posted-Date: 08 Dec 2003 00:24:10 EST

Jenny wrote:

> Can somebody recommend a compiled language that is easy to learn?

I'd have thought C would be quite good for this purpose (which I
assume is to learn about compilation), especially an old-fashioned
'Kernighan & Ritchie' C compiler. I'm not a fan of C as a working
language, but for study it has the advantage of (relative) simplicity.

Also, an old, simple Pascal compiler would probably be worth study.
Possibly the P-System (which should also be of interest to anyone
developing a JVM or something similar).

Actually, I think there is great value in studying one or two real
compilers, in addition to reading textbooks.

--
Nick Roberts