Re: compiled programming languages for comparative analysis

torbenm@diku.dk (Torben Ęgidius Mogensen)
8 Dec 2003 00:17:28 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
compiled programming languages for comparative analysis mojacko_17@yahoo.com (2003-12-03)
Re: compiled programming languages for comparative analysis torbenm@diku.dk (2003-12-08)
Re: compiled programming languages for comparative analysis joachim.durchholz@web.de (Joachim Durchholz) (2003-12-08)
Re: compiled programming languages for comparative analysis nick.roberts@acm.org (Nick Roberts) (2003-12-08)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: torbenm@diku.dk (Torben Ęgidius Mogensen)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 8 Dec 2003 00:17:28 -0500
Posted-Date: 08 Dec 2003 00:17:28 EST

mojacko_17@yahoo.com (Jenny) writes:
> Can somebody recommend a compiled language that is easy to learn? I
> have to be able to learn and apply it in simple programs in about a
> week. I have to make a comparison between that language and Java.
> Python was my first choice but I just found out that it is an
> interpreted language. But is really just an interpreted language? As
> in no compile process happens? Java is an interpreted language but is
> also a compiiled one. So if anyone can shed some light on this for I
> would be most grateful ^^

First a clarification: A language as such isn't compiled or
interpreted. Many languages have both compilers and interpreters and
mixed compiler/interpeters. So, at best you can ask for a language
that has a compiled implementation.

Python is (last I heard) compiled into bytecode, which is then
interpreted. Java is also compiled to bytecode and this is sometimes
interpreted and sometimes compiled (and sometimes both). There are
also Java compilers that compile directly to machine code without
using the bytecode.

As for a quick-to-learn language with a compiled implementation, here
are a few suggestions:

  - Scheme. Both interpreters and compilers exist for this. You can
      learn Scheme quite quickly but it takes a while to really exploit
      it.

  - Standard ML. Same comments apply. It may take fractionally longer
      to learn ML than Scheme, due to the type system of ML, but the
      compiler will find more bugs for you.

  - Pascal is also pretty easy to learn -- certainly easier than Java
      or C.

Torben Mogensen