Re: dynamic bintrans

Julian Brown <>
3 Dec 2003 20:22:32 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
dynamic bintrans (Johan Rydberg) (2003-11-21)
Re: dynamic bintrans (2003-12-03)
Re: dynamic bintrans (Julian Brown) (2003-12-03)
Re: dynamic bintrans (2003-12-03)
Re: dynamic bintrans (Jens Troeger) (2003-12-13)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Julian Brown <>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 3 Dec 2003 20:22:32 -0500
Posted-Date: 03 Dec 2003 20:22:31 EST

On 2003-11-21, Johan Rydberg <> wrote:
> I'm interested in dynamic binary translation. I've done some small
> tests of my own, and they work pretty good. Now I want to make the
> compiler retargetable. For this, I have to choose an IR that can
> describe targets which has specific characteristics (such as delay
> slots, condition codes (x86), condition insns (arm, ia-64), ..).
> Standard RTL, such as used by GCC, seems to be too generic to
> describe for example the condition codes on x86. It also has
> troubles describing conditional insns.
> Anyone that has any ideas, or can give me some pointers to papers
> regarding this topic?

It is a rather difficult thing to do. I can't pretend to have made a
serious attempt at it, but some guys on a Yahoo list I'm on are doing so
right at the moment. You might try looking at:

I'm sure you'd be welcome to join!

I have tried designing an IR for an ARM->x86 dynarec, but I'm not
entirely happy with it and it's not really that portable. See:

if you're interested.