query: debugging dynamically generated code

debray@CS.Arizona.EDU (Saumya K. Debray)
27 Oct 2003 16:04:32 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
query: debugging dynamically generated code debray@CS.Arizona.EDU (2003-10-27)
Re: query: debugging dynamically generated code tmk@netvision.net.il (2003-10-31)
Re: query: debugging dynamically generated code kodambal@imec.be (K.C. Shashidhar) (2003-10-31)
Re: query: debugging dynamically generated code jcownie@etnus.com (James Cownie) (2003-11-08)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: debray@CS.Arizona.EDU (Saumya K. Debray)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 27 Oct 2003 16:04:32 -0500
Posted-Date: 27 Oct 2003 16:04:32 EST

How to people go about debugging code that's being
generated/transformed dynamically? (My one experience, using gdb, was
painful at best -- e.g., if I didn't get my timing right, and the
dynamically generated code overwrote a breakpoint, gdb would
nevertheless insist that I had a breakpoint at that address and refuse
to let me set another one at that location.)

Given the amount of interest and activity in JIT compilers and dynamic
code optimization in recent years, I expect there's a fair amount of
experience with, and literature on, this topic (though citeseer didn't
turn up anything obvious). I'd be grateful for any pointers.

Thanks,
--
Saumya Debray
Dept. of Computer Science, University of Arizona, Tucson