Re: OOP Runtime data structures

Tim Owen <me@junk.address.com>
13 Oct 2003 15:32:06 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
OOP Runtime data structures witness@t-online.de (Uli Kusterer) (2003-10-13)
Re: OOP Runtime data structures jones@cs.ua.edu (Joel Jones) (2003-10-13)
Re: OOP Runtime data structures me@junk.address.com (Tim Owen) (2003-10-13)
Re: OOP Runtime data structures witness@t-online.de (Uli Kusterer) (2003-10-19)
Re: OOP Runtime data structures Markus.Elfring@web.de (2003-10-27)
Re: OOP Runtime data structures javadesigner@yahoo.com (javadesigner) (2003-10-31)
Re: OOP Runtime data structures witness@t-online.de (Uli Kusterer) (2003-10-31)
Re: OOP Runtime data structures davide.grandi@mclink.it (2003-10-31)

From: Tim Owen <me@junk.address.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 13 Oct 2003 15:32:06 -0400
Posted-Date: 13 Oct 2003 15:32:05 EDT

Uli Kusterer wrote:
> I'm working on an object-oriented programming language, and I'm
> unsure about the best way to implement the runtime data
> structures. Any input will be appreciated!

It might be useful to look at the implementation of Smalltalk, and
perhaps Self, Sather and Cecil (one or more of these sound similar to
your language). Sorry I don't have lots of specific references to hand
right now. But Google and Citeseer, with those language names as search
terms, will probably give you some interesting reading.
[The implementation of Smalltalk-80 was described in detail in a three
book set by Goldberg et al. that's been out of print for ages but is widely
available in libraries and at used bookstores. -John]