Re: OOP Runtime data structures

Joel Jones <jones@cs.ua.edu>
13 Oct 2003 15:26:54 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
OOP Runtime data structures witness@t-online.de (Uli Kusterer) (2003-10-13)
Re: OOP Runtime data structures jones@cs.ua.edu (Joel Jones) (2003-10-13)
Re: OOP Runtime data structures me@junk.address.com (Tim Owen) (2003-10-13)
Re: OOP Runtime data structures witness@t-online.de (Uli Kusterer) (2003-10-19)
Re: OOP Runtime data structures Markus.Elfring@web.de (2003-10-27)
Re: OOP Runtime data structures javadesigner@yahoo.com (javadesigner) (2003-10-31)
Re: OOP Runtime data structures witness@t-online.de (Uli Kusterer) (2003-10-31)

From: Joel Jones <jones@cs.ua.edu>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 13 Oct 2003 15:26:54 -0400
Posted-Date: 13 Oct 2003 15:26:54 EDT

At 0:19 -0400 10/13/03, Uli Kusterer wrote:
>Hi,
>
> I'm working on an object-oriented programming language, and I'm
>unsure about the best way to implement the runtime data
>structures. Any input will be appreciated!
>

>1) I don't intend to differentiate between classes and objects. That
>is, a class can be used just like any other object, and any object can
>be subclassed. I also want method invocations to be messages, so any
>object that responds to the same messages as another can be used in
>the other's place, like in Objective C or Smalltalk.

As you mentioned in your earlier post, this is like the language
Self. I would recommend reading Urs Holzle's Ph.D. dissertation. It
was published as a Stanford tech report:

@TechReport{STAN//CS-TR-94-1520,
      author = "Urs Holzle",
      title = "Adaptive Optimization for {SELF}: Reconciling High
                                    Performance with Exploratory Programming",
      institution = "Stanford University, Department of Computer Science",
      type = "Technical Report",
      number = "STAN//CS-TR-94-1520",
      pages = "181",
      month = aug,
      year = "1994",
}

and also as a Sun Microsystems Inc. tech report I believe. Sorry,
but I don't have a URL handy. From my recollection, he also has
details about some of the implementation details you asked about.

--
Joel Jones jones@cs.ua.edu
Department of Computer Science http://cs.ua.edu/~jones