Thomas Skora <>
10 Aug 2003 10:50:27 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
DFAs,NFAs,REs,CFGs,PDAs ARGH! (Anthony Webster) (2003-08-04)
Re: DFAs,NFAs,REs,CFGs,PDAs ARGH! (2003-08-10)
Re: DFAs,NFAs,REs,CFGs,PDAs ARGH! (Thomas Skora) (2003-08-10)
Re: DFAs,NFAs,REs,CFGs,PDAs ARGH! (Derk Gwen) (2003-08-10)
Re: DFAs,NFAs,REs,CFGs,PDAs ARGH! (Joachim Durchholz) (2003-08-23)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Thomas Skora <>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 10 Aug 2003 10:50:27 -0400
Posted-Date: 10 Aug 2003 10:50:27 EDT

"Anthony Webster" <> writes:

> I'm still a little confused as to which data structure to use for
> what part of the system.

In most cases you can describe the automatas with tabulars, from which
you can look up the next state and/or output with the actual state and
input/lookahead symbol.

> I understand the mechanics of things like CFGs and PDAs but fail to
> see exactly where they fit in the implementation of a lexer/parser.

The lexer works with DFAs and outputs tokens, while the parser gets
the tokens and builds a parse tree or does something else
grammar-specific with PDAs.