Efficacy of compiler optimizations

kernel_learner@yahoo.com (Learner)
4 Aug 2003 00:09:35 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Efficacy of compiler optimizations kernel_learner@yahoo.com (2003-08-04)
Re: Efficacy of compiler optimizations derkgwen@HotPOP.com (Derk Gwen) (2003-08-10)
Re: Efficacy of compiler optimizations suresh@sankhya.com (2003-08-10)
Re: Efficacy of compiler optimizations johnfl@cs.uoregon.edu (John Fiskio-Lasseter) (2003-08-10)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: kernel_learner@yahoo.com (Learner)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 4 Aug 2003 00:09:35 -0400
Posted-Date: 04 Aug 2003 00:09:35 EDT

Hi all,

  I had a general question about compiler optimizations and believe
this is a great place to ask!

First of all there are numerous number of compiler optimizations and
they each have their own characteristics..my questions is two-fold:

1. What is the cost/benefit ratio of these optimizations.

2. How do these compiler optimizations interact? i.e. does one
optimization negate the effect of another optimization if done in a
particular order?

Looking forward to replies..

Cheers!
LearNER
[Those are awfully general questions. The answers depend greatly on
the language, target machine, and what your goals are. If you're
going to compile a program, run it once for debugging, and throw it
away, the tradeoffs are different than if you're going to run it
100 times a day for the next year. -John]