Symbols in library. (Torbak)
31 Jul 2003 12:47:02 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Symbols in library. (2003-07-31)
Re: Symbols in library. (Victor Bazarov) (2003-08-04)
Re: Symbols in library. (Artie Gold) (2003-08-04)
Re: Symbols in library. (2003-08-10)
Re: Symbols in library. (2003-08-20)
Re: Symbols in library. (2003-08-23)
[1 later articles]
| List of all articles for this month |

From: (Torbak)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers,comp.lang.c++
Date: 31 Jul 2003 12:47:02 -0400
Posted-Date: 31 Jul 2003 12:47:01 EDT

I got some question about symbols in libraries ...

In libraries, there is public symbols and "not public" symbols
(private, static)... In C when we use the "static" keyword on the
declaration of a function, the function is not public in the library.

1- When I use a class, all is symbols are put in the public section of
the library. How can I change that. The keyword "private" in a class
is only for the langage or does it change (like "static") something in
libs ? Even in object file ?

2- Even symbols which are not "static" have there decorated name in
the library. (I use bindump to check that). How can I avoid that for
the private functions of my lib ?
What COFF is use for then ?

3- The keyword "static" is used to keep the use of something in the
file scope. If my lib is composed from many object file, how can I
"hide" private functions ?

Does somebody know how I can get a good documentation about library
files ?