Re: compiler Validation suites

Frank Heckenbach <frank@g-n-u.de>
2 Jul 2003 00:40:49 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
compiler Validation suites cedi@sonata-software.com (2003-06-22)
Re: compiler Validation suites frank@g-n-u.de (Frank Heckenbach) (2003-07-02)
Re: compiler Validation suites news09@tynecomp.co.uk (Martin Liddle) (2003-07-02)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Frank Heckenbach <frank@g-n-u.de>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.pascal.misc,comp.lang.modula2,comp.compilers
Date: 2 Jul 2003 00:40:49 -0400
Posted-Date: 02 Jul 2003 00:40:49 EDT

cedi <cedi@sonata-software.com> wrote:

> Has any one used the GNU Pascal compiler Test suite

We (the GPC developers and some of the users) use it regularly for
regression testing.

> If Yes, How good are the test suites w.r.t the different kinds of
> tests for compiler validation i.e Conformance test, Deviance
> test,Quality test ...etc.

It's mostly conformance and deviance tests, few quality tests --
some specific optimizations are tested, but no extensive
benchmarking or such.

> Also Can someone tell me whether the GNU Pascal compiler test suite
> can be cnverted to a GNU Modula 2 compiler test suite.

I doubt it. GPC supports a mixture of various standards and dialects
plus its own extensions, and the tests for them are quite mixed up.
(Someone proposed to sort them in categories, but nobody is really
interested in doing this boring job -- sorting several thousands of
tests, many of them hardly documented, is not much fun.)

You'd have to select the tests of the closest Pascal standard
(Extended Pascal perhaps) by looking at each test, but still there
are significant differences to Modula 2.

However, if you mean the test framework (which is rather easy), this
should be possible if it fits your needs. (You can read about the
details at <http://gnu-pascal.org/gpc/Reporting-Bugs.html>.) If
you're interested, you might want to contact me privately, since I'm
the main author of the framework.

Frank

--
Frank Heckenbach, frank@g-n-u.de, http://fjf.gnu.de/