Re: preprocessor books/papers

"Glen Herrmannsfeldt" <>
5 Jun 2003 22:39:25 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
preprocessor books/papers (Derek M Jones) (2003-05-24)
preprocessor books/papers (Derek M Jones) (2003-06-03)
Re: preprocessor books/papers (Glen Herrmannsfeldt) (2003-06-05)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Glen Herrmannsfeldt" <>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 5 Jun 2003 22:39:25 -0400
Posted-Date: 05 Jun 2003 22:39:25 EDT

"Derek M Jones" <> wrote in message

> I have been trying, without much success, to locate recent (last 10
> years will do) information on preprocessors.
> Although preprocessors abound people seem loath to write them up.
> There is Brown's book from 1974. Can anybody help out with more up to
> date references?

I have wondered about preprocessors before. Consider the evolution
from PL/I to C to Java as far as preprocessors go. If you don't know
PL/I its preprocessor even has preprocessor procedures, loops, compile
time arithmetic, etc.

You probably know what C has, and Java has almost nothing.

My guess is that there aren't any books since 1974.

-- glen