Re: Dynamic compiling

Randolph Crawford <>
15 May 2003 11:37:21 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
[4 earlier articles]
Re: Dynamic compiling (TOUATI Sid) (2003-05-12)
Re: Dynamic compiling (A Pietu Pohjalainen) (2003-05-12)
Re: Dynamic compiling (Thant Tessman) (2003-05-12)
Re: Dynamic compiling (Ivan Boldyrev) (2003-05-13)
Re: Dynamic compiling (Ross Bencina) (2003-05-14)
Re: Dynamic compiling (2003-05-14)
Re: Dynamic compiling (Randolph Crawford) (2003-05-15)
Re: Dynamic compiling (Henri-Pierre CHARLES) (2003-05-16)
Re: Dynamic compiling (Norman Worth) (2003-05-16)
Re: Dynamic compiling (Peter \Firefly\Lund) (2003-05-16)
Re: Dynamic compiling (2003-05-16)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Randolph Crawford <>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 15 May 2003 11:37:21 -0400
Posted-Date: 15 May 2003 11:37:20 EDT

If your target is Windows, you probably should consider .NET
compliance for your executables, which means that you probably want to
generate bytecode, not native binary, and something like C# would be
an appropriate language.

As for an open source embeddable compiler, you might investigate Mono: I'm not up to date on its status, but it
sounds like you could embed it.

You might also look into embedding Perl into your app. I think this
is doable in Windows. (But it won't be .NET compliant, of course).

A couple of relevant articles on embedding Perl:

Other than that, you'd need to embed a call to something like
gcc, generate a DLL, and dynamically load it (with the djgpp
runtime library). Sounds ugly...

David wrote:
> Hi, I am looking for a small efficient free/opensource compiler to
> integrate into my program. it should allow you to compile directly
> into memory, then execute the code directly from memory. Primary
> target is Windows(Intel), but support for other platforms would be
> nice.
Randy Crawford