Re: C# for java

"Stefano Lanzavecchia" <wildstf@hotmail.com>
20 Apr 2003 16:57:41 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
C# for java fgagnon@inouii.com (Francois Gagnon) (2003-04-15)
Re: C# for java wildstf@hotmail.com (Stefano Lanzavecchia) (2003-04-20)
Re: C# for java oliver@zeigermann.de (Oliver Zeigermann) (2003-04-20)
Re: C# for java bobduff@shell01.TheWorld.com (Robert A Duff) (2003-04-27)
Re: C# for java sander@haldjas.folklore.ee (Sander Vesik) (2003-04-27)
Re: C# for java rrschulz@cris.com (Randall R Schulz) (2003-05-06)
Re: C# for java sander@haldjas.folklore.ee (Sander Vesik) (2003-05-15)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Stefano Lanzavecchia" <wildstf@hotmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 20 Apr 2003 16:57:41 -0400
Posted-Date: 20 Apr 2003 16:57:41 EDT

> Has anyone heard of a C# compiler that would generate code for java
> (for the JVM)? C# is such a nicer language than Java, it seems like a
> natural path for this (leverage java's library and stay away from
> Microsoft's patents on the .NET platform...).

As far as I know there are at least a couple of features of the C# language,
for which the JVM doesn't have support: value types and argument passing "by
ref".
This doesn't mean that one cannot cleverly implement them on top of the JVM
(I am no expert here), but performance might suffer.
For a project heading in exactly the opposite direction, that is, turn java
bytecode into Microsoft IL bytecode on-the-fly, have a look at
http://weblog.ikvm.net/
--
    WildHeart'2k3