education suggestions

"ls" <lstavenhagen@hotmail.com>
30 Mar 2003 21:22:23 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
education suggestions lstavenhagen@hotmail.com (ls) (2003-03-30)
Re: education suggestions newsfeed2@boog.co.uk (Peter Cooper) (2003-04-05)
Re: education suggestions crwfrd@umich.edu (Randolph Crawford) (2003-04-05)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "ls" <lstavenhagen@hotmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 30 Mar 2003 21:22:23 -0500
Posted-Date: 30 Mar 2003 21:22:23 EST

Hi all,

I'm looking for suggestions as to pursuing continuing education in
compiler work. I worked for 7 years doing compiler QA, but never had
the opportunity to get into actual compiler development work (I was
laid off around the time I was trying to get into the actual
development end of it).

But, after considering a list of alternatives, I believe compiler
development work is the direction I want to go in my career going
forward.

My educational background is in linguistics (interests in formal
syntax, mathematical linguistics) and my work experience was doing QA
for a fairly well-known C/C++ compiler product.

I have done some study on my own, reading through the Dragon Book and
attempting to write my own compiler for a fragment of C by hand. These
have helped a good bit, but I don't think I can go much further
without getting some assistance.

So I'm looking for suggestions on higher education programs. I.e.,
where do I go to learn compilers? ;)

I'm not necessarily confined to one area of the country (I live in TX
right now). I'm mainly interested in where would be the best place to
continue my education in compiler theory/practice.

Thanks,

Lucien S.