Re: Creating an interpreter for a Logo-like language on MacOS X

haberg@math.su.se (Hans Aberg)
30 Mar 2003 21:17:31 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Creating an interpreter for a Logo-like language on MacOS X macfiddler@iprimus.com.au (Erika) (2003-03-30)
Re: Creating an interpreter for a Logo-like language on MacOS X haberg@math.su.se (2003-03-30)
Re: Creating an interpreter for a Logo-like language on MacOS X cgweav@aol.com (2003-03-30)
Re: Creating an interpreter for a Logo-like language on MacOS X macfiddler@ozemail.com.au (Erica Mackenzie) (2003-04-05)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: haberg@math.su.se (Hans Aberg)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 30 Mar 2003 21:17:31 -0500
Posted-Date: 30 Mar 2003 21:17:31 EST

Erika <macfiddler@iprimus.com.au> wrote:

>: - Which kind of parsing algorithm would to be most appropriate for my
> needs, LR, LALR, top-down, bottom-up, or which, how and why <g>?

As you are designing your own language, it makes little difference
what parsing algorithm you are using: These algorithms are different
in the amount of grammars the accept, but say LALR plus the usual
lexer/parser tweaks are sufficient for most "normal" languages. The
problem arises if you have a given language, and it contains
constructs that must be tweaked in exotic ways.

LALR(1) ("lookahead LR") is a compacted form of LR(1), which combines
different states on the expense of some grammar generality and error
handling (when an error occurs, some extra reductions may be inserted
relative LR(1)).

Look into books on parsing -- see the comp.compilers FAQ for more info.

>: - For a parser-generator/ Tree - Walker (please pardon any imprecise
> terminology - I am still reading, studying and learning) - would Eli,
> Bison, Yacc, PCCTS or ANTLR best suit my needs? as I said before,
> I don't really want an object code output.

Flex/Bison are currently updated an developed, and should be good for
outputting C code:
    Help-flex mailing list
    help-flex@gnu.org

I am not sure Yacc is alive, even though there is a "Berkeley Yacc", which
originates with same guy, Robert Corbett, who wrote Bison.

    Hans Aberg * Anti-spam: remove "remove." from email address.
                                    * Email: Hans Aberg <remove.haberg@member.ams.org>
                                    * Home Page: <http://www.math.su.se/~haberg/>
[Yacc is quite alive. There haven't been any new versions lately because
there haven't been any new bugs. -John]